The SHIP has been developed especially for Cornell students (and their dependents) to provide access to convenient and efficient care that complements the quality health services offered on campus.
The details of the plan are reviewed and recommended each year by Cornell’s Student Insurance Advisory Committee (made up of students, faculty, and staff, including health services staff). This ensures that the coverage is well-suited to the needs of the Cornell students and respectful of their budgets. The SHIP is managed by Aetna Student Health and underwritten by Aetna Life Insurance Company. The Plan meets all of the student health insurance standards developed by the American College Health Association.
The SHIP is a comprehensive plan, tailor-made for the college population. Highligts include that it:
- Provides extensive coverage at a reasonable cost for most on- or off-campus medical care from August 17 through August 16.
- Provides coverage 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, anywhere in the world. When plan members are in Ithaca, provides coordination of services by health services staff who know Cornell students and a preferred provider network that includes the local hospital.
- Covers pre-existing medical conditions.
- Helps defray catastrophic expenses.
- Covers inpatient and outpatient mental health care in the Ithaca area.
- Continues coverage when students have to take a leave of absence.
- Meets or exceeds all F-1 and J-1 visa requirements.
- Includes world-wide travel assistance and emergency air transportation services.
- Offers optional dental and vision plans for members.
- Provides convenient assistance with enrollment and claims submission through the Cornell University Office of Student Health Insurance.
Get a sense of the range of benefits and the ways in which they might meet your needs in the SHIP Overview (pdf).
Special programs for SHIP members (no extra cost)
Learn more about these special member programs that are provided at no additional cost for SHIP members:
- Worldwide Medical Information and Assistance
- Beginning Right Maternity Program
- Healthyroads Quit and Fit (tobacco cessation)
Optional plans for SHIP members (extra cost)
Students who are enrolled in the SHIP may purchase SHIP coverage for eligible dependents.
SHIP members (students and dependents) may be eligible for: